Documentation Guidelines

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, individuals with disabilities are guaranteed certain protection and rights to accommodations based upon documentation.

The documentation must indicate that the disability substantially limits some major life activity. The following guidelines are provided in the interest of accommodations, academic adjustments, and/or auxiliary aids

  • Documentation must be from a signature of licensed professional, qualified in the appropriate specialty area for which accommodations are being requested and who is not related to the student. Documentation should be on official letterhead.
  • Documentation should be current. (General standards are 3 years for ADHD, 5 years for a learning disability, 1 year for a psychiatric disability) However, the College may use its discretion in cases in which the condition is considered permanent and the documentation is greater than three years old.
  • 504 Plans and IEP’s can be considered and reviewed as appropriate documentation. The College, however, may requested additional documentation in some instances.

When applicable, the documentation should include the following information:

  • A clear statement of the diagnosed disability including the DSM-V diagnosis if applicable
  • An education, developmental, and medical history or summary of presenting symptoms as it related to the diagnosis
  • A list of all assessment instruments and relevant scores used to make the diagnosis (if possible)
  • A description of the functional limitations resulting from the disability
  • A list of the recommended educational accommodations
  • A statement of why the disability qualified the applicant for accommodations requested
  • Discuss the impact of medication on the student’s ability to function in an academic environment.

Documentation NOT accepted

  • A brief note from a doctor that simply requests an accommodation
  • Information or notes written on prescription pads
  • Copy of after-care instructions
  • Documentation of learning disabilities which is not comprehensive or which identifies “learning problems” or “learning challenges” but does not specifically diagnose a learning disability

For specific housing accommodation requests contact Jenny Sandberg Associate Director of SSAS.