Academic Support Services
Our tutors support each student’s academic success while enhancing the student’s knowledge of the subject material. It is a tutor’s goal to challenge students to engage in their own learning and develop stronger study habits to succeed in academic coursework.
Tutors are available in a wide variety of courses and subject areas and provide personalized instruction designed to promote independent learning. Tutors can also help students become aware of other useful campus resources, such as the Writing Center.
Supplemental instruction is a peer-led, academic assistance program offered in especially difficult courses. Supplemental instruction leaders are students who have taken the course and performed well, and because they’re familiar with the content and instruction, supplemental instruction is a step beyond traditional tutoring. supplemental instruction leaders can re-review course content, lectures and major themes, in addition to helping students with specific assignments.
Academic coaches work one-on-one with students, talking with them about courses and preparing strategies to help them succeed.
Academic Coaches work with students by:
- Prioritizing assignments for the next week
- Discussing a reading assignment
- Reviewing for an exam
- Planning, revising editing etc. a writing assignment
- Locating resources for a class
- Discussing study strategies
- Discussing research strategies
- Reviewing notes for a class
- Discussing a potential problem area
- Organizing a study schedule