Room Policies

Air Conditioners

Bowers, Grier, Pattee and Peterson Halls have central air conditioning.

Students living in McMichael, Fulton, Graham, and Winbigler are encouraged to bring their own portable/non-window air conditioning unit. Units must meet the specifications listed below and must be registered with the Office of Residence Life.

Students living in McMichael, Fulton, Graham, and Winbigler may opt to rent a unit from the College for $150 per academic year. These students will sign a rental agreement.

Only one unit per room is allowed.

Air Conditioner Specs for purchasing a unit.

  • Must be a portable/non-window air conditioner.
  • Maximum of 8000 BTU.
  • Must come with window vent.
  • Vent wings must be able to fit between 24” and 36” window.
  • Maintenance will assist with troubleshooting, but cannot repair personal units.
  • Sample: 

Students who wish to bring their own unit or rent a unit must complete the Portable Air Conditioning form. If a student opts to not have air conditioning, no action is needed.

To request air conditioning as an accommodation, students should follow the process for requesting a disability accommodation. For more information, please go to the Accessibility Services.


In the interest of personal safety and to avoid overload on the College’s physical plant, students in residences are limited to the following electrical/electronic items in their rooms:

  • Refrigerators, 6.0 cubic feet or less
  • Small microwaves (up to 6 amps, 1000 watts)
  • Television sets
  • Personal computers
  • Printers
  • Pedestal fans
  • Window fans
  • Small music systems
  • Non-halogen lamps*

Items such as ceiling fans, dimmer switches, window air-conditioners, mini blinds and any other electrical, plumbing, or mechanical devices not already installed by the College are not permitted.

Unapproved appliances and devices found in student rooms that are prohibited will be removed by the College staff at student’s expense.

*Halogen lamps can be a serious fire hazard. Halogen lamps are therefore prohibited. Students found in possession of a halogen lamp will be fined a sum of $100. Halogen lamps not removed by the owner will be confiscated by the hall staff.


To participate in the residence hall/house key system, a student must be a resident in one of the residence halls or College houses. Any student who is eligible to have a key must abide by and be subject to the rules of the key system. There is no charge for the initial key(s). Procedures are as follows:

  • Upon checking into the residence hall, the student will indicate that he/she has received the key(s) from the residence hall staff by signing a check-in form(s).
  • When a student loses a room key, a $35.00 replacement cost for the key will be assessed. If the student wishes to have the room lock changed, a $78.00 fee will be assessed for the lock and will include the key. All keys are to be returned at check out. Students who are assessed the cost of a lost key and later return the key will receive a refund of half the cost of the replacement fee. Outside doors are accessed with the student ID card. A $25.00 fee will be charged for a lost ID card.
  • When the student terminates residence, either at the end of a semester or by withdrawing from the College during the semester, the key(s) will be returned during checkout. If the student has lost the key(s), he/she will be charged accordingly. It is unlawful to duplicate College keys. If a key is lost, the student should report it immediately to the hall director or head resident and obtain a replacement
  • Students are not permitted to add additional room locks.

There are penalties for abuse of the hall key system. When an unauthorized person is allowed use of the key or uses the keys, a minimum fine of $5.00 shall be imposed on the key holder. More severe sanctions, as determined by the Office of Student Affairs, may be imposed for subsequent violations.


Personal lofts, futons and waterbeds are not allowed in student rooms. The College provides standard furniture in all student rooms. Any furniture not in compliance will be removed at the owner’s expense. It should be noted that under no circumstances are modifications to the physical structure of a room permitted which includes hanging beds from chains, etc.


Student rooms are painted at regular intervals at the direction of the director of the Physical Plant.

As several students will occupy a room between paintings, care should be taken to ensure that wall and ceiling surfaces are not abused or marred.

Students are not permitted to paint their rooms. No permanent alterations will be permitted. Nails, screws, and other mounting devices may not be attached to wall and ceiling surfaces. Where molding permits, brackets may be used.

Bulletin boards may be used for posters and pictures. If it is necessary to affix a poster or picture to a wall, Plasti-Tak, masking tape, or a suitable substitute should be used. Under no circumstances should cellophane tape or glue be used.

Student cooperation in the protection of wall and ceiling surfaces is necessary to control costs. A room’s painted surfaces at checkout should be in a condition that reflects appropriate care and consideration during the student’s occupancy of the room. The cost of all damages will be charged to students. Careful consideration of decorating procedures is urged.

Personal Property

Responsibility for Personal Property

Monmouth College assumes no liability for theft, damage, or loss of money, valuables, or other personal effects of any student or guest caused by fire, water, steam, insufficient heat, power failure or surge, the elements, neglect, theft or the actions of a third party that occur in College housing or on College property.

Monmouth College does not endorse any individual insurance program. Students are encouraged to confirm that their property is covered by their family’s homeowners’ insurance or to carry personal property insurance with the protection they desire for student property. Not all homeowner’s policies cover everything that students bring to school. Most companies will provide some coverage, but have limitations on certain property. Students should check with their insurance agency and request a written note on items such as electronics, jewelry, and musical instruments. Separate coverage may be recommended by your provider.

You may wish to consider CSI’s Student Personal Property Protector Plus® program. CSI has created a property insurance plan especially for students living away from their parent’s home, either on or off campus. Participation in this plan is optional. If you are interested in this coverage you can apply to CSI Insurance Company by going to their website at If you have questions about the coverage, please call CSI Insurance Agency at 888-411-4911 or email them at Do not send your application to the College.

Request for Loss/Reimbursement

If you have damage to your personal property that you feel was caused by Monmouth College negligence, you may petition the Director of Residence Life, if the loss occurred in College Housing, or the Director of Facilities Maintenance, if the loss occurred at any other location on campus, for consideration of reimbursement. Monmouth College has the discretion to determine whether to reimburse and whether to seek additional information before making a final determination. A final determination will consider any such additional information provided as well as any failure to provide such information.

Follow these steps:

  • You must first present your claim to your insurance provider within five (5) business days of the loss to determine if there is coverage under the policy. If the insurance company accepts your claim in full, with no out of pocket expenses, Monmouth College will not offer reimbursement.
  • If no coverage exists and/or if there is a deductible you must complete the Request for Reimbursement Form. The following items must be attached to the Request for Reimbursement Form:
    • A letter from your insurance company outlining the rejection and/or settlement of your claim with your deductible clearly identified.
    • Copies of purchase receipts (please do not attach originals). If copies are not available, then you must provide documentation that describes the item with manufacturer name, model number, original cost estimate, date of purchase, current replacement cost, and place of original purchase.
    • Digital pictures of your loss, if possible.
  • Failure to provide any or all of the items specified will be considered in the College’s response to a request for reimbursement and could lead to denial of the request.
  • The Request for Reimbursement Form and associated documentation must be submitted to the Director of Residential Life, if the loss occurred in College housing, or the Director of Facility Maintenance, if the loss occurred in another location on campus, within five (5) business days of a response from your insurance provider. Monmouth College will make the determination whether to reimburse and whether to seek additional information before making a final determination. A final determination will consider any such additional information provided as well as any failure to provide such information.
  • All requests for reimbursement will be reviewed in the College business office to determine if Monmouth College will reimburse you for your loss. Please note that the Student Scots Guide states that Monmouth College is not responsible for your loss. Therefore, a decision could be made not to reimburse you.
  • If your request is approved, reimbursement will be based upon the cost less a percent depreciation of the item in question using the best available depreciation guides. Depreciation will be based on the date of purchase as provided on the sales receipt. In addition, you will be required to sign a Release of All Claims form prior to receiving any reimbursement.


With the exception of aquatic pets, such as small turtles and fish in small aquariums, students are not permitted to bring pets to campus as pets are not permitted in college buildings. Because we live together in a communal environment we must support an environment that makes it possible for all members of the College community to live and learn. Allergies, fears, as well as wear and tear on shared facilities make a pet policy necessary. A minimum fine of $100 and the cost of removing the pet will be levied for students found in violation of the policy.