Latin American studies minor requirements
A minimum of five credits taken in three or more departments.
You need to take five courses to obtain the minor; only LAST 120/HIST 120 is required. Please also note that courses taught in the Modern Languages, Literatures & Cultures Department are offered both in Spanish and English. Either way, they count for the minor.
- LAST 120/HIST 120 Introduction to Latin America
- ARTD-350 Contemporary Latin American Art (offered every other year)
Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- SPAN 310 Introduction to Literary Analysis (if related to Latin America; in Spanish)
- SPAN 320 Latin American Film: Love, Money, Crime & Revolution (in English)
- SPAN 324 Spanish American Literature (In Spanish)
- SPAN 326 Topics in Spanish Language (if related to Latin America; in Spanish)
- SPAN 336 Special Topics in Hispanophone History & Culture (Spanish or English)
- SPAN 466 Topics in Literature (if related to Latin America) (in Spanish or English)
- HIST 120 The Mexican Revolution
- HIST 220 History of Brazil
- HIST 220 The Marvelous City: A Cultural History of Rio de Janeiro
- HIST 220 Radical Thought in Latin America
- HIST 220 History of Mexico
- HIST 220 History Thru Movies: Brazilian Cinema & The Creation of National Identity
- HIST 220 The Age of Revolution: Latin American Independence
- POLS 280 Latino Politics
Sociology and Anthropology
- ANTH 271 Cultures of Latin America (offered every other year)
Latin American related only and must be approved beforehand by the program coordinator. For more information, contact Jennifer Thorndike.