We offer both a History major (10 courses) and minor (5 courses).
The History major is designed to give students a broad background in historical knowledge while sharpening their analytical and writing skills throughout their coursework. Students will understand what it means to “be a historian” and, by the end of the program, will produce a paper based on original research.
History major requirements (10 credits)
Note: If you entered Monmouth College prior to Fall 2018 you can choose to either follow the requirements below OR our old program requirements. Talk to an advisor about these options.
- 2 Required Surveys: US History (HIST 110, 111, OR 112) / HIST 220 Modern Global History
- HIST 260 Historian’s Craft
- Two 300 level courses before Senior Seminar
- HIST 400 Senior Seminar
- Four electives.
Note: students can only count three 100 level courses toward the major; must have a total of 3 non-Western courses (Global History and two more); and may only cross-list two courses to count for history credit.
History minor requirements
- Students must take five course credits in history.
- Of the five credits, students must take at least one credit at the 200 level and one at the 300 level