What to Bring

To receive income tax assistance, individuals should bring the following:

  • Identification for each spouse (photo ID such as a valid driver’s license or passport).
  • Form 13614-C – This form is an editable PDF document. Please fill out and bring to your session. This form is also available at the site.
  • Social Security cards for each person listed on the return (includes taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents). THIS IS REQUIRED!
  • If you received health insurance or an advanced Premium Tax Credit (subsidy) from the Marketplace, you MUST bring Form 1095-A. Information from this form is entered directly into the return.
  • All documentation on income, such as W-2s and 1099s.
  • Last year’s return. This is necessary if the taxpayer itemized last year and now has a state refund to be added back to income, and for those taxpayers receiving an annuity which is only to be partially taxed. This is also helpful to ensure income and deductions taken in a previous year are revisited for inclusion in the current year, and possibly the homebuyer’s credit that’s needed to be added back to the return.
  • Voided check (no deposit slips) if the taxpayer wishes direct deposit of the refund. If the direct deposit is to a savings account, a document that indicates the number. This is also a must. The account must be in the taxpayer’s name! Please note the account that is to be deposited into must have your name on it. If married, filing jointly, both names must be on that account.
  • All information related to deductions and credits such as medical, real estate taxes, mortgage interest, education expenses and charitable expenditures. It’s important that taxpayers bring in property tax statements, which should have the property tax index number on them. This is required on the Illinois return if you want the Illinois property tax credit.
  • Social Security number or tax identification number and addresses of all daycare providers if the dependent care credit is desired.
  • Tax-free childcare benefits provided through an employer (should be on the W-2).
  • Divorced couples: If the noncustodial parent is taking the dependent exemption, need Form 8332 signed by the custodial parent (for divorces or separations 2009 or after) or copy of applicable pages of divorce agreement or Form 8332 (for divorces or separations prior to 2009).
  • Information on contributions to Individual Retirement Accounts.
  • For stock transactions: need purchase date and cost basis as well as sale date and sale price (note: VITA will not prepare a complex Schedule D).
  • Information on repayment of the home buyer’s credit.

Other items taxpayers need to know or be aware of when they come to the VITA site:

  • Both spouses must be present if a joint return is to be filed.
  • Are you being claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return?

VITA will not be able to assist taxpayers with the following (this is not an exhaustive list):

  • Out-of-state (including Iowa) and multiple state returns
  • Amended returns
  • Prepare or e-file a return for a small business. However, we can do a Schedule C for non employee income that you receive on Form 1099.
  • Prepare or e-file a return for rental property or farming (Schedules E and F).
  • Prepare or e-file a complex Schedule D (capital gains/losses).
  • Prepare or e-file a form 8606 (nondeductible IRAs)
  • Prepare or e-file a form 8615 (minor’s investment income)
  • Military and international (nonresident) returns

We will not prepare complicated returns. If your return is outside of our scope we will let you know that we cannot assist you.

Please note: The information covered on our website is not intended as tax advice nor should it be construed as tax advice. Monmouth College volunteers are not professional tax advisers and cannot give tax advice. For tax advice assistance, contact a professional tax adviser.