Safety and Security
Monmouth College security provides safety, security and service to the Monmouth College community in a friendly, courteous and professional manner.
The crime rate (see http://www.monmouthcollege.edu/life/health-safety/crime-stats) in the city of Monmouth and Monmouth College has traditionally been very low. But safety and security of its students, faculty and staff remains a high priority for Monmouth College.
Monmouth hires security services from Per Mar Security Services, a nationally recognized security company. We have professionally trained officers who work hard to make Monmouth College environment safe to live, learn and work.
Monmouth College security logs are available for review by the general public in room the Office of Student Affairs located in room 123 Poling Hall.
Preparation of Annual Crime Statistics
All members of Monmouth College community are encouraged to report crime and other incidents on campus to the Office of Student Affairs. Monmouth College security and the residence hall staff report incidents on campus on a regular basis to the Office of Student Affairs. Statistics are also acquired from Monmouth police department. All incidents are entered in a data base. The Office of Residence Life makes the crime statistics available electronically to every member of Monmouth College community. This web address is given as hard copy to every member of Monmouth College community on October 1st of every year.
This chart includes offenses that were reported to Monmouth College Security, Monmouth Police Department, and other College officials who have significant responsibilities for student and campus activities. These offenses are compiled using the Uniform Crime Reporting procedures in accordance with the provisions of the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act.
These safety tips are just a few that should be practiced each and every day. Please take the security measures seriously for your own protection as well as that of other members of the Monmouth community.
Report all suspicious activity immediately to the following phone numbers:
1. Monmouth College Security (between 7:00 pm to 8:00 am: 309-337-5708
2. Office of Residence Life: 309-457-2113
3. Monmouth College Emergency Phone: 309-337-5713
Please pay attention to the following safety tips:
- Never take personal safety for granted.
- Be aware of your surroundings; avoid shortcuts through dark, secluded areas. Stay where other people are visible.
- Walk in a group, and walk with confidence. If you have to walk alone, contact Monmouth College Security for an escort.
- Avoid hats or other items that restrict your vision and earphones that impair your hearing.
- Never prop doors open. Not only are you putting yourself in danger, but everyone else residing in that building as well!
- Carry only the cash, credit cards and ID that you expect to need.
- Always lock the door to your room whether or not you are there. Be certain that your door is locked when you go to sleep, and keep windows closed and locked when you are not home.
- Lock all doors when driving your vehicle. When parking your vehicle, park in a well-lit area and secure your vehicle.
- Never admit strangers into secured buildings.
- Do not attach your ID to your keys or mark your keys with your name or address.
- If you need to store valuables in your car, place them out of sight or in your trunk.
- Have your keys in your hand as you approach your vehicle. Check the floor and back seat before entering your vehicle.