During inclement weather listen to your radio or TV for weather service reports.
Area radio stations include:
WRAM- AM 1230
TV Stations include:
WQAD- channel 8
KWQC- channel 6
WHBF- channel 4
Tornado Watch means tornadoes are possible in your area. Remain alert.
Tornado Warning means a tornado has been indicated by Doppler radar or reported by storm spotters. Move to a place of safety immediately!
means a tornado has been spotted in the vicinity of Monmouth. Do not hesitate; take immediate cover. This siren may only leave as little as a 2-3 minute warning. The siren is a long continuous blast lasting for 3-4 minutes. (There is all clear signal so you must use your own judgment on resuming normal activities. This siren is tested every Tuesday at 10:00 am so you should familiarize yourself to the sound.)
- When a tornado warning is issued, or the siren sounds, go to a safe shelter immediately, preferably in a basement.
- Get under a sturdy table and use arms to protect head and neck. Stay away from windows and open spaces. Stay there until the danger has passed.
- If there is no basement, go to an interior room on the lowest level (closets, interior hallways, or restrooms). Do not open windows. In a high-rise building, go to a small, interior room or hallway with no windows on the lowest floor possible.
- Do not call 911 unless you need to report an emergency, such as a fire, medical emergency or severe building damage
- Get out of vehicles immediately and go to the lowest floor of a sturdy nearby building or a storm shelter.
- If caught outside with no shelter, lie flat in a nearby ditch or depression and cover your head with your hands. Be aware of potential for flooding.
- Watch out for flying debris.
NOTE: Staying safe in severe weather circumstances means taking personal responsibility for your own safety. Therefore, if you believe there is severe weather that might produce a tornado, check the weather stations listed above, and take appropriate precautions. Go to a safe shelter immediately, preferably in a basement and DO NOT WAIT for someone to tell you what to do. NOTE: If a tornado warning is issued or the siren sounds you are to go to a safe shelter immediately.