Documentation Guidelines for Hearing Loss

Students who are deaf or hard-of-hearing must provide Disability Services with an audiogram by a licensed audiologist. The audiogram and any additional medical documentation provided must be current.

An audiogram showing evidence of a hearing loss will entitle the student to services. Information about the functional limitations causes by the hearing loss should also be included in the report if the student is seeking additional academic accommodations, which may include (for example):

  • Preferential seating
  • Adaptive equipment
  • Note-takers
  • Sign-language interpreters or captioning services
  • Foreign language substitution