Information contained in a student's file with Disability Services is considered part of his or her educational record and is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (http://www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html). Information may be released from the file in only three circumstances:
- Court order
- With the student's written permission
- Internally within Monmouth College based on a legitimate educational reason
Disability Services has developed the following four guidelines regarding confidentiality:
- All disability related information including documentation, correspondence, and accommodation records are considered confidential. Monmouth College and Disability Services have an obligation to maintain confidentiality on all disability-related information.
- Access to disability related information is on a need-to-know basis and only for the purpose of assuring appropriate accommodations.
- Disability Services is prohibited by law from releasing any disability records or identifying information to any outside entity. This includes documentation the student provides to Disability Services.
- The student may request, in writing, information to be released to specific persons or agencies.