As the brothers of Phi Delta Theta begin to feather their new nest, they may just find some chicken feathers still hiding in the corners. Built in the 1920s by poultry salesman Chester Nichol, the comfortable foursquare brick home originally stood on North Ninth St., just in front of his chicken hatchery.
In the 1960s, Monmouth College acquired both properties from Nichol's son Tom and converted the hatchery into its new art center. The residence was used as an honors house for senior women until 1968, when it was sold to make way for Liedman Hall. The house was moved to 110 South Eighth St. and used as a private residence until recently, when it was reacquired by the the college, which was in need of additional student housing.
In 2008, a group of Monmouth students decided to form a new Greek organization and formed the Illinois Gamma colony of Phi Delta Theta, a fraternity that previously existed on the Monmouth campus from 1871 to 1884. They were rewarded for their efforts by being presented with the Nichols home, in which they have established Monmouth College's first substance-free fraternity.