Marshall Hall is the oldest building on the Monmouth College campus. The Italianate-style brick home was built in 1876 by Dr. Hugh Marshall, a prominent physician. It was later the home of his son, Hugh Jr., who deeded it to Monmouth College in 1937. Initially used to house senior women, in 1940 it was converted to house freshmen men. After the war it was converted to apartments for married veteran students. Since 1954 it has served as the college's Pan-Hellenic headquarters, housing meeting rooms for sororities.