The legacy of a local family and its longtime generosity to Monmouth College will be honored in the naming of a campus residence hall.
Previously known by its geographic location as “North Hall,” the 131-bed coeducational facility will be called Pattee Hall, in recognition of a recent major gift to the college’s “Fulfilling the Promise” capital campaign by the Monmouth-based Pattee Foundation. It also honors previous gifts and more than a century of support by the Pattee family.
The four-story, 35,000-sq.-ft. facility, located on East Clinton Ave., was constructed in 2005 to accommodate the college’s rapidly growing enrollment. Construction was authorized by the board of trustees with the understanding that a naming gift would be sought at an appropriate time in the future.
Designed in the Georgian style of architecture by the Galesburg firm of Metzger -Johnson, Pattee Hall features primarily two-bedroom quads, each housing four students and sharing a bathroom. Rooms are individually climate controlled. A lounge is located on each floor and laundry facilities and a kitchen are on the lower level.
The Pattee family’s history in Monmouth began in 1869, when brothers J. Howard Pattee and Henry H. Pattee opened a flouring mill. In 1873, they began a plow company that grew to become one of Monmouth’s leading industries.
The family’s connection to Monmouth College began in 1881, when Henry Pattee married 1874 MC graduate Anna Willits, a founder of Kappa Kappa Gamma. He later served as a college trustee for nine years. Henry’s son, Allen, was a member of the class of 1907 and his grandson, Henry, was a member of the class of 1935. J. Howard Pattee’s son, Fred B., served as a college trustee in the 1940s and ’50s, and his son, Fred H., a member of the class of 1933, was a trustee during the 1960s.
The Pattee Foundation, which was established following the death in 1997 of Fred H. Pattee’s widow, Martha, previously endowed professorships in business and science at Monmouth College, and recently funded a 100-seat auditorium in the new Center for Science and Business.